to perfection

There is no such thing as a ‘free’ survey.

CSRT, CSSW and MCIOB accredited


We have the know-how to bring your visions to life. And to make sure they stay that way.

A building’s performance will depend not only on its purpose but on ensuring that, at every stage of its lifecycle, from design and build through to day to day occupancy, a dynamic and interdisciplinary approach to planning, construction and ongoing maintenance is applied.

At Crownstone, we believe that better performance stems from the application of expert knowledge and bespoke research, always with focused outcomes in mind.

Call us and book a survey now on 0208 226 5654

Party Wall Surveys

Prior to undertaking work on a party wall, you need a Party Wall Notice or Party Wall Agreement (technically called a Party Wall Award).

A party wall is the shared wall, usually between a terrace or semi-detached house, and divides the homes of two separate owners.

In the home, Party Wall Agreements are most commonly needed for building works that involve loft conversions, the insertion of damp-proof courses and the digging of new foundations (as would be required in building an extension). However, Party Wall Agreements are also required where excavations are close to a neighbour’s property – within three or six metres, depending on the depth of the new foundations. Almost without exception, a basement construction will require a Party Wall Agreement.

At Crownstone, all our surveyors are members of the Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors (, so you can rest assured that you are in the best possible hands.


Building Owners

If you are an owner planning to undertake works that fall within the scope of the Party Wall Act, you should start planning early; notice periods are either 1 and 2 months depending upon the type of work but where complex works are to be undertaken it can take longer than that for an award to be agreed.

As the building owner, you are responsible for not only your own surveyor’s fee but also the reasonable fees of any surveyors appointed by the adjoining owners, so it’s important to know that your own surveyor is not only fully-qualified and relevantly experienced, but they have your best interests and bottom line at heart.

If you are planning on undertaking works that fall within the scope of the Act, such as basement excavations, a loft conversion or extension, then please contact Crownstone’s team of experienced Party Wall Surveyors on 0208 226 5654 or complete the online contact form at the bottom of this page.

Adjoining Owners

Have you received a party wall notice? Often an adjoining owner only becomes aware of their neighbour’s proposed works when a party wall notice lands on their door mat. As an adjoining owner, you may either consent or dissent to the notice – if no response is made within 14 days then you are deemed to have dissented and the parties are ‘in dispute’ under the Act. Where a dispute arises each owner must appoint a surveyor so that a party wall award can be agreed and served.

A party wall award is a legally binding document that sets out who the parties are, includes details of the proposed work and what safeguards have been agreed to ensure that those works are undertaken with the minimum of risk and without causing unnecessary inconvenience to the adjoining occupiers.

These are some typical examples of issues that might be addressed in a party wall award:
• Working hours
• The control of dust and excessive noise
• Measures to limit vibration
• Access to the adjoining owner’s land
• Security

The good news is that, in all normal circumstances, the building owner (the party undertaking the works) will be responsible for the fees of both their own and the adjoining owner’s surveyor. The surveyor acting for the adjoining owner keeps a record of their time and when all other matters have been resolved puts their fee forward to the building owner’s surveyor for agreement. If the two surveyors fail to agree upon what constitutes a reasonable fee they can refer the matter to the Third Surveyor who
will have the final say. If you have received a party wall notice and would like some advice on how you can protect your property, then call Crownstone today on 0208 226 5654 or complete the online contact form at the bottom of this page.

Basements and the Party Wall Act

Where the proposed works involve underpinning and basement excavation the party wall award will be more complex to reflect the greater risk and may include issues such
as security for expenses and Special Foundations.

As both basement specialists and party wall surveyors, Crownstone are uniquely positioned to advise you on your basement project. Call us today on 0208 226 5654 to
speak to one of our Party Wall Surveyors or complete the online contact form at the bottom of this page.

Asset Management

Throughout a building’s life, our Asset Management Consultants are there to make sure that it continues to work at its best. 

Property professionals demand up-to-date, easy to use and accurate information which is relevant to their portfolio. Here at Crownstone, our expertly trained team of consultants use award-winning software and will work with you to assess your requirements, creating a bespoke and intuitive solution which will protect your property investments both today and in the longer term.

Call 0208 226 5654 to speak with one of our Asset Management Consultants today or
complete the online contact form at the bottom of this page.

Construction Phase Plans

The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations (2015) are intended to ensure that health and safety issues are properly considered during a project’s development so that the risk of harm to those who have to build, use and maintain structures is reduced.

What is a Construction Phase Plan?

A Construction Phase Plan is a legal requirement of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015. Each construction phase plan must:

• Be relevant to the project
• Record the health and safety arrangements and site rules for the construction
phase of the project
• And, be appropriate for the scale and complexity of the work to be undertaken,
considering the risks involved.

If you need advice on how to make your Construction Phase Plan fully CDM complaint, call Crownstone today on 0208 226 5654.

Who is Responsible for the Construction Phase Plan?

Under the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations (2015) it is the responsibility of the principal contractor, once they have been appointed, to develop the construction phase plan, which must be completed before the client can allow work on site to proceed.

According to CDM regulations (2015), the principal contractor does not have to draw up the Construction Phase Plan themselves, rather, they can ‘make arrangements’ for it to be drawn up by a suitably qualified and experienced consultant. That’s where Crownstone come in.

As Contractor’s Health and Safety (CHAS) scheme accredited construction experts, we will collate all aspects of your construction project to produce a comprehensive CDM and HSE compliant Construction Phase Plan, fully backed by our own professional indemnity insurance.

If you’d like to take the headache (and risk) out of your Construction Phase Planning, then call us today on 0208 226 5654 to speak to one of our specialist advisors.

Drainage Design

A drainage system will only be effective if sufficient effort is put into the planning stage. This is why we put such an emphasis on the quality of design. At Crownstone, our team benefits from years of experience and a whole host of widely recognised qualifications, providing a bespoke solution for each scenario. While we do offer plenty of no-dig maintenance services, we believe that the best way to go about things is to prevent problems occurring in the first place, and this is where our design expertise really pays dividends.

Whilst the tasks they perform may seem relatively simple, drainage systems can be extremely complex and a great deal of work is involved in ensuring that the system designed is able to serve its purpose for years to come. After all, if something goes wrong, a quick fix is rarely an option when everything is hidden below the surface and or/expensive finishes and fittings. This is why it pays to get things right the first time.

From groundwater drainage, to foul drainage and pumping stations, by using a reputable designer, like Crownstone, you can make sure you keep things flowing.

Call us today on 0208 226 5654 to speak to one of our experienced drainage designers.

Contact Us